Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Blogmas, Day Three: Winter Skincare

So much for Blogmas, Day Two, guys! I'm so sorry. Yesterday was just such a crazy day for me. I was planning to actually write the post about what I did yesterday....only to not take a single picture of the entire day....so I'm sorry I missed it, BUT I won't do it again, I promise :). Without further ado or apology, here is Blogmas, Day Three, in which I talk about Winter skin care. 

I don't know about y'all, but I get some really dry skin when the cold weather hits and it isn't that it feels dry, it's dry dry. 

My skin will be going along, minding its own business and the second the temperature drops below 70, FLAKES! My lips peel, I get dry skin at the corners of my mouth that cracks (thanks for that one, Accutane), the skin on my hands gets ashy and I'm a WHITE girl already. And let me just say this: I'm in Northern California. By no means am I in extreme weather conditions, at all. The cold weather comes, my skin freaks out and as a result, I have to switch out some products to help out. 

I still use all of my regular Lush products. Those aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. My Coal Face soap is a godsend for my face and the Grease Lightning spot treatment is as well. I'm also still using my Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herb and Rosewater as a toner. It's the only thing I've found that my skin actually likes so I'm sticking with it. 

In winter skincare, with cold air and dry skin, you need to make sure you're exfoliating. Luckily, I bought a Clarisonic a few years ago and I use that two or three times a week to help deep clean my skin, exfoliate a bit, and get rid of the dead skin that tends to accumulate. I only really use my Clarisonic when I wash my hair (which is like 2-3 times a week) because 1. I don't want to over exfoliate my skin and 2. it makes it a special treat when I use my Clarisonic and my Burt's Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream. 

After cleaning my face, deep clean or otherwise, I need to moisturize. That's a big duh, but in winter, I have to switch my moisturizer from my typical Trader Joe's SPF 15 face lotion to a thicker, more emollient cream like Alba Botanica's Even Better Night Cream for night and Alba Botanica's Good & Healthy Oil-Free Radiance Cream during the day. 

As a rule, I do use a lot of more natural products on my skin. That's mostly because I find that my skin tends to respond better the more natural the products that I'm using on it are. 

Last, but not least, I just discovered Bath and Body Works' My Favorite Night Balm (which I use during the day too) for my lips. I have perpetually dry lips and while I had been using the Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask for a long time, the Night Balm is actually significantly cheaper and I've noticed better results using it than I ever did with my lip mask. 

So there you have it. Nothing too crazy, but definitely some added steps to combat the extra flakiness and dryness of winter skin.

See you guys tomorrow! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment