Thursday, December 5, 2013

You should probably know...

...that I am obsessed with Eloise. And no, not the name, although my daughter, should she ever exist will be named Eloise. It's a name that definitely needs to make a comeback in the 21st century. I'm just saying. It's an adorable name with a whole lot of history behind it. And I ♥ it. 

For those of you who are not familiar, Eloise is a character in a series of children's books written by Kay Thompson and illustrated by Hilary Knight, who is a boy, by the way. Eloise is a six year old girl who lives at the Plaza Hotel in New York City with her nanny, a pug named Weenie and her turtle named Skipperdy, generally running around and doing whatever she wants.

She is adorable, energetic and totally charming in a misbehaving, wild child of a six year old sort of way. I fell in love with her about 10 years ago when Disney released Eloise at the Plaza one Sunday night for Wonderful World of Disney in 2003. Side note: does anyone remember the redo of Wonderful World of Disney that they did in the early 2000's? They never should have stopped that. Hello, Disney, get Wonderful World of Disney back up, STAT!

Anywho, back on topic here, Sophia Vasilieva, most recently of My Sister's Keeper fame, played Eloise and Julie Andrews, who needs no introduction, played Nanny in both Eloise at the Plaza and the sequel, Christmas version, Eloise at Christmastime. Which, by the way, is my absolute favorite Christmas movie of all time besides Year without a Santa Clause. I bought it for myself on Amazon because well, I just really needed to own it for myself. In my ever growing collection of movies, it certainly deserved a spot. If only I'd ordered Eloise at the Plaza. 

Eloise in her fancy six year old glory. I wish I could get a cartoon of myself like this :/
Eloise and Weenie in some fabulous sunglasses


For whatever reason, I've always sort of related to Eloise. Not that I'm six years old or anything, nor was I when the movies first came out and I became aware of her. It's her spirit and her silliness that has always drawn me in. Being six years old, she always does as she pleases and typically makes a mess of things completely. But she always means well and tries to fix it all in the end. 


In more recent news than 2003, Betsey Johnson did a line inspired by Eloise a few years ago and also designed the real life Eloise Suite at the real life Plaza in New York City in 2010. The hotel also has an Eloise store full of gifts inspired by our favorite, infamous Plaza resident. Needless to say, once I graduate and hit up New York, I will most certainly be going to the Plaza to check it out. 

Betsey Johnson with one of the Eloise dolls designed for the hotel

She has her own FLAG! How stinkin' cute!

Just thought I'd share this little tidbit with you since it's been a hot minute since I posted anything. But I'm watching Eloise at the Plaza right now and will be following up with Eloise at Christmastime when I finish that. 
Yes, she sleeps with a Do Not Disturb sign around her neck. Again, stinkin' cute.

Gotta skitter!

♥Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment