Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Finally Graduating from College

Does anyone else remember the scene in Stuart Little when George (who was Jonathan Lipnicki back when he was little and cute) comes running downstairs yelling, "It's today! It's today!", excited by the prospect of his new sibling? That was my exact feeling on graduation day last week. After five years of school, which had a good measure of drama and nonsense squeezed in there amid work and school obligations, the phrase, "I'm done" has never felt quite as real as it did on the day I graduated from school.

Mind you, I was never a school kind of person, anyway. I love knowing things, I love learning, but I hate doing it in a classroom. I will read till the cows come home and camp out in front of the History Channel for an entire afternoon (anyone else psyched about the World War special they've had on all weekend? You know I was watching it!), but the second it becomes about a class, I'm over it. I've always been that way. My mother, my professors and my friends have been bemoaning my "laziness" for years. "You have so much potential, you just don't apply yourself." Blah ,blah, blah. Whatever man, I'm a graduate now!

My best friend came up from the Bay Area to watch me graduate, and then left immediately after because he had a wedding to be at...old people responsibilities. And the rest of us went to happy hour at a local sushi restaurant, which is pictured below after my aunts/uncles had a bit too much.

The ceremony itself was awful. I hate crowds, I hate being hot, and I hate sitting for long periods of time listening to other people talk. Or, in a word, commencement. But, me, and my family actually, all knew that it was something we had to do, so we made it through it. Either way, I never have to go back to school again!

Here are some pictures from the day, because of course, I had my phone with me to take pictures while I was sitting, being bored.








Glad I could share the experience with my family and friends. It was a great weekend and I'm ready to start the rest of my life now ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment