Sunday, October 5, 2014

Can We Talk about Once Upon a Time for a Second?

As much as I love Frozen, I'm not going to lie, after last season's Wicked Witch detour, I was not excited in the least to see what Once Upon a Time was going to do to the storyline. Don't get me wrong, I started out as a huge fan of the show when it premiered. From the fashion to the story lines, I was obsessed. Then the second season happened and things started to slide downhill, real fast.  I was completely underwhelmed by the follow up story and I felt like they hired a whole new set of writers who had never even seen the first season. The acting was terrible, the plot was swiss cheese most of the time. Much like the characters left in Storybrooke after the curse was lifted, the show was struggling with what to do after the central conflict was suddenly lifted away. After Neverland and a trip to Oz last season, I was pretty much done watching, convinced that there was no way to turn it around.

However, when I found out that Scott Michael Foster, who played Cappie on ABC Family's Greek (OBSESSED with that show) years ago was going to be playing Christoph, I figured I'd give it a go and I have to say, thus far, I'm pretty impressed with the turn around. I think that the addition of Anna to past storylines and bringing Elsa to Storybrooke may be just what the show needs to get its shit together and head back into the direction of where it started.

Don't get me wrong, we're only in the second episode here, and it could easily snowball (hehe) into a heaping mess of badly tangled plot lines. After all, Rapunzel was not the blonde-to-brunette Mandy Moore type we all fell for in Tangled when she made her appearance on the show. I could be speaking too soon, but I really hope I'm not. I watched the first season on Netflix a few weeks ago when I was feeling nostalgic and was struck again by the great thing the writers had going when the show initially launched.

The only thing that irks me is Elsa. I don't want to spoil the show for anyone out there who hasn't watched or caught up, but to speak in general terms, her apparent lack of control on the show completely contradicts the ending of the movie. At the end of the film, Elsa seems more assured and confident in her powers, as well as her role as queen. She creates an entire ice rink in the courtyard of the palace, for crying out loud! The Elsa on the show seems completely off kilter and not at all able to deal with her gifts which doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone out there have any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment