Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Taco Tuesdays and Hocus Pocus: This Week So Far

Happy Hump Day, friends! It's Wednesday and I figured that I already have enough to talk about this week that I don't have to wait for the Fess Up to talk about my life. I'm not sure how often I'll actually feel compelled to do this, but I'm still in my good mood from last week so let's roll with it, shall we?

Monday was an interesting day for me. Apart from it being one of my 12 hour days, I actually decided that after a year, I am leaving the hotel. I'm not a super impulsive person, especially when it comes to money and jobs, but after spending a year feeling unappreciated, taken advantage of and disrespected in my position, I'm ready to go. I didn't officially put in my 2 weeks notice. I just reduced my availability to 2 days a week. I've decided that I'll be putting in my 2 weeks officially when they have new people hired and in training so I don't get guilt tripped too bad for leaving them short staffed. 

Since making the decision though, I feel about 100 lbs lighter. I don't feel like I hate my life, I don't want to yell at everyone for just being in my presence, and I suspect that the further I get from the front desk, the better I will feel. 

I also got Hocus Pocus on DVD for a pre-Halloween movie date with my friend Sara who has NEVER SEEN HOCUS POCUS(!). Yup. that's right guys, she's never seen the best Halloween movie to ever come out...ever. Clearly she had a terrible childhood ;) That movie always brings back fond memories for me though. To be honest, one of my first memories is of watching Hocus Pocus in my grandma's den in Santa Rosa when I was 4 or 5 years old. As you can imagine, despite my avid movie watching at that age, I wasn't quite a pro at sitting still the whole time and I remember getting up and wandering out to see what everyone else was doing at the commercials only to toddle my way off back to watching the movie when I thought the commercials must be over. I would assume that it carries the same fond memories for other people too because when I posted a picture of the freshly-opened DVD on Instagram, I got 17 likes within...probably 30 minutes of posting it. And that's the most likes I've ever gotten on an image. 


This was basically the best cap off to a Monday in a long time, especially because I have to work on Monday nights. I can't wait to watch it tomorrow night. Whether Sara comes over or not, I am definitely gettin down on some vintage Disney Halloween Classic movie time. I may have sushi. I may go visit my friends over at Macaroni Grill considering the fact that I haven't seen any of them since I quit Mac Grill almost a year ago when I got hired on at the hotel. Biiiiiiig mistake. Either way, childhood memories will be relived, regardless of food choice. 

Yesterday, in case you live under a rock, was Taco Tuesday. And now when I say Taco Tuesday, I do so with the implication that like the Plastics or the guys on Big Bang, I differentiate certain days by the activities that I do on those days. It's just Taco Tuesdays, mostly because there is no day of the week that starts with B to make it Beer ______day. 

Two weeks ago, my friend Tamiko and I went to Rubio's for Taco Tuesday after I talked her into ditching her 3:00 class like the horrible influence that I am. Now normally, I love me some Rubio's, but since going dairy free about six months ago, their tacos sans white sauce are not as good as they are with and I can't eat them. 

We missed last week between class schedules and laziness so this week, after she got out of her 3:00 class, we hit our local Chando's tacos to try out their offerings for Taco Tuesday. 

Holy Crap! I'm in love. They were seriously delicious and authentically awesome. 


They don't run a special like Rubio's does, but for a 3 taco "plate" plus a pretty large drink, it is only $6. That's a friggin steal. These tacos may be small, but they are mighty and I can almost guarantee that unless you are a very large dude who eats  a couple thousand calories a day, you'll be pretty satisfied with 3 tacos. 

I chose the carnitas, pork and chorizo tacos...I can't lie, the carnitas tasted like a barnyard smells. It was terrible. BUT the pork might be the best thing I've ever eaten...at least from a pig and that means that bacon is being beat out by these tacos. That's saying something. 

We've decided that Chando's is our new Taco Tuesday spot, for sure.


Behold the wreckage that was my plate after I got done eating....10 minutes later. Needless to say, I hated my food. Couldn't possibly eat a bite. 

That's my week thus far. Hope yours is going equally as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment