Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day

Well folks, unfortunately, my Labor Day weekend was pretty uneventful. I worked. All weekend. Friday through Monday, I was here, at the hotel from 3-11. I mean, I managed to get myself some purple hair, but other than that, I was bored out of my skull. 

But you know, you have to find joy wherever you can sometimes in life. It isn't always rainbows and unicorns. Although let's get real, if there were unicorns at all, life would be so much more amazing. And so, I decided to write this post in appreciation of a simple Monday at work when things are going well and I don't really have reason to complain. 

My coworker and I lucked out in April or May when the college level crew teams stayed in the hotel because the (GORGEOUS) U Penn coach fed all of his rowers FreeBirds Burritos from down the street and accumulated enough points to get Jeanette and me 5 free burritos out of the deal when he gave us his rewards card with all the points. Which we have used thus far and got our last really free burrito tonight. It was delicious. 

Then, while still on my lunch break, I decided to clean out my wallet because, what normal person doesn't do that when they have free time, right? I found a gift card that I thought had no value left...come to find out, it had a whole $5.92 left. Which meant that because I did not buy said gift card, I could therefore purchase a Starbucks without breaking my new personal pact to not open my wallet for another coffee until 2014. SCORE!

My delicious Caramel Apple Spice that I purchased with my found money and am still enjoying as I type this. It's like FALL IN A CUP, guys. Go get you some. 

And then, as I walked back across the parking lot with my delicious autumnal beverage in hand, not daring to sip because even through the collar, that cup was HOT, I looked around and noticed how beautiful and serene everything around me was. Cars were getting off the freeway and going home after what were presumably fun and exciting long weekend plans with their families, the post-rain clouds were floating lazily across the sky on their way to places like Seattle where it is actually supposed to rain in early September; the sun underneath them headed to bed for the night, after all, being blocked out by clouds all day has to be exhausting when you're a big ball of gas whose only job is to light the skies. 

I mean, how gorgeous is this sunset?! Yes, there are clouds, but I think that makes it even prettier. 

I looked around at this intermediate seasonal beauty and thought to myself, I am utterly content right now. Yes, I have bills to pay, I start my last semester of school tomorrow, and I really do need to make a decision as to whether or not I am moving home or staying in the apartment, but in the grand scheme of things, those things can wait while I hold my warm apple drink and walk across this perfectly temperatured evening as the sun goes down. Life is too short to stress yourself out over every little thing. Eventually, everything will work itself out the way that it is supposed to fall, whether you like the outcome or not. So why worry?

No comments:

Post a Comment